Board of Zoning Appeals
The Board of Zoning Appeals shall consist of the seven members of the Planning Commission, all of whom shall by appointed by the Mayor by and with the consent of the City Commission. None of the members shall hold any other public office of the City except as members of the Planning Commission. The members shall serve their terms simultaneously with their terms on the Planning Commission. Vacancies shall be filled by appointment for the unexpired term. The members shall serve without compensation. The Board shall annually elect one of its members as Chair, one as vice-chair, and shall appoint a Secretary who may be an officer or an employee of the City. The Board shall also adopt rules in accordance with the provisions of the City Code. Meetings of the Board shall be held at the call of the Chair and at such other times as the Board may determine. The Board shall keep minutes of its proceedings, showing evidence presented, findings of fact by the Board, decisions of the Board and the vote upon each question. Records of all official action of the Board shall be filed in the office of the City Clerk and shall be a public record.
Board of Zoning Appeals Duties
The BZA is charged with the following responsibilities:
- Hear and decide on applications for a variance from the provisions of the zoning and subdivision ordinance;
- Hear and decide on applications for an appeal of an administrative interpretation of the zoning ordinance; and
- Conduct other business specifically assigned to the Board of Zoning Appeals by ordinance, City Commission order or State statute.
Membership and Terms
- Bill Marshall (Chair) 2023
- Brenda Finn Bowers (Vice Chair) 2025
- Travis Sawyer 2025
- Helen Rose 2024
- Matt Mead 2024
- Rod Boyd 2023
- Diana Miller 2023
Meeting and Contact Information
The Board of Zoning Appeals only meets when needed. The location and time will be announced at that time.
For more information or questions regarding the Board of Zoning Appeals please feel free to contact:
Kari Zook, Community Development Director