Aaron O. Martin
The City Attorney provides the City legal advice and represents the City of Abilene in legal disputes. The City Attorney is appointed by the City Manager. The primary duties of the City Attorney are:
- Appear and prosecute or defend all suits in any court in which the City may be a party or have an interest;
- Draft ordinances, bonds, contracts, leases, conveyances, and other instruments of writing as required by the business of the City;
- Advise the City Commission and officers of the City upon all legal questions affecting the duties of their offices or the interest of the City;
- Attend all meetings of the City Commission, unless excused by the City Manager;
- Furnish written legal opinions when required, and perform other professional services incidental to the office which may be required under the direction of the City Manager.
The City Attorney must be qualified to practice law in the State of Kansas.