Develop a strategic and proactive plan for securing a high-visibility position related to the Chisholm Trail. The plan will include a comprehensive proposal for trail related infrastructure/interactive education, preemptive coalition building and relevant marketing.
- Provide the lead role in planning and organizing an Abilene event to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Chisholm Trail.
- Participate in the planning and organizing a national event to commemorate the Chisholm Trail Sesquicentennial.
- Identify and develop a permanent memorial recognizing Abilene as the “End of the Chisholm Trail.”
Increase use of creative marketing strategies to include utilization of advanced technology, enhanced use of collaborative approaches (partnerships) and the development of specific educational messages.
- Engage students to create promotional videos of Abilene to be used on You Tube.
- Update the Abilene tourism video to share on website, You Tube, and in local businesses.
- Create a marketing plan to attract visitors to Abilene and increase visitation of local residents.
Improve Abilene’s directional signage to guide visitors to target destinations.
- Commission a sign at the municipal airport to welcome visitors and inform them of the tourism attractions in Abilene.
- Continue developing a wayfinding signage system to direct the public to the hospitality amenities.
- Continue billboard advertising, working with local businesses to create maximum impact.
- Identify ways to easily direct visitors into Abilene through the highway construction and closure of the I 70 exit ramps.
Engage, educate and sustain a multi-generational audience.
- Develop an initiative that will create a community awareness of the tourism impact on Abilene.
- Work with local attractions to enhance the visitor experience for all ages.
Continue to create momentum towards the development of a convention facility and related lodging.
- Continue to identify potential developers interested in the lodging industry in Abilene.
Play a key role in the development and promotion of the Special Tourism and Commerce District.
- Assist in creating an awareness of the benefits of the district.
- Take the lead in organizing the 5 Star Arts Festival in the downtown area.
- Work with the attractions within the 5 Star Museum District to create an awareness of the district and increase the number of visitors.
- Develop a Concierge Program to guide visitors from the Eisenhower Presidential Library Museum to other attractions and businesses in Abilene.
- Take the lead in reorganizing the Farmer’s Market to draw more people to the downtown area.
- Continue to work on the Quilt Trail to provide an additional experience for visitors.