The Council's role may extend into the areas of industrial, retail, utilities, housing, tourism, entrepreneurship, and other facets of community development. As such the Council has the following goals and duties.
- To develop policies that assist in retaining and expanding local businesses.
- To develop policies that seek to increase the number of small firms within Abilene by fostering local entrepreneurship.
- To develop policies that promote Abilene's position as a tourist destination.
- To develop policies that promote the development of a diverse mix of new housing and rehabilitation of existing housing.
- To evaluate and recommend economic development incentives.
- To conduct all other duties as assigned by the City Commission.