The weather is getting nicer and warm weather projects are beginning. Are you planning to replace existing sidewalks in poor condition? Are you planning to connect two existing sidewalks? Did you know, the City of Abilene offers a Sidewalk Connection & Replacement Program that will pay a partial cost of the update or repair.
The sidewalk connection and replacement program accomplishes a number of public purposes that protect the public health, safety, and general welfare including but not limited to:
- Improve pedestrian and child safety.
- Promote walking as a means of transportation and exercise.
- Beautify neighborhood streetscapes.
- Define the edge of the public right-of-way.
- Reduce the sidewalk maintenance costs incurred by property owners.
- Reduces property owner liability.
For residential lots, the City will pay up to $500, or up to $1,000 for a corner lot. For commercial lots, the City will share in 50% of sidewalk projects with the responsible landowner paying 50% of the project cost. If the property owner does the work themselves the City will pay up to $500 for materials only.
The sidewalk connection & replacement program is available for applications at any time. If funds are not immediately available, your application will be placed on a waiting list until funding is available. The waiting list is established on a “first come, first serve” basis. This program can be used for concrete and brick projects. The City’s sidewalk construction standard must be followed.
Please keep in mind if you paid to have a sidewalk installed prior to submitting an approved program application, you will not be reimbursed. Program procedure must be followed for the City to partially fund the project. The procedure is as follows:
- Obtain and file an application
- City Inspector will conduct an on-site visit to evaluate the condition and amount of sidewalk needed
- City Inspector approves the application
- Property owner contacts qualified/city approved contractor
- Contractor completes the project and submits an invoice to the City and property owner
- City and property owner pays the contactor their share of the project cost.
If you are interested in taking part of this program, please complete and submit the following application FORM to:
City of Abilene Community Development
PO Box 519
419 N Broadway St
Abilene, KS 67410