Our employee spotlight this week is Officer Belinda Gatlin with the Abilene Police Department. Office Gatlin provides safety and security to the citizens of Abilene by responding to emergencies, providing assistance to victims, and reducing or preventing involvement in crime. Officer Gatlin also helps create community awareness using crime prevention methods or intervention initiatives.
When asked what she enjoys about her job, she said, “I transferred from a different jurisdiction and immediately noticed the support and ‘brotherhood’ this department maintains. Mental health and peer support are very widely accepted, and every single person in the department is willing to help you in any way needed with no questions asked. Despite any differences, every person here would be willing to risk their life for any of their comrades or the community. We are a very proud department and have a fantastic group and great leadership to work with.”
Fun Facts about Officer Gatlin:
- She grew up in Checotah and Lawton, Oklahoma.
- She graduated from MacArthur High School, Great Plains Technology Center, and Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center.
- Her travel history ranges from Georgia to New Mexico, and she’d love to travel to the Bahamas!
- In her free time, she loves train chasing with her son, listening to music, fishing, reading, playing guitar, napping, writing, whiskey or wine tasting, cooking, kayaking, watching horror movies, bonfires, skydiving, occasional skateboarding, anything astrology or psychology related but overall, doing nothing at home!
- Extra unique fact – she grew up around Carried Underwood and her family in Checotah, Oklahoma!
Thank you, Office Gatlin, for all you do to protect and serve our community!