Property Security


Residents are reminded to lock their homes and storage buildings when absent. If you are going to be absent for an extended period, it is beneficial to leave a light on, arrange for a trusted person to watch your property and temporarily stop delivery of mail and newspapers. If requested, the Abilene Police Department will keep an extra eye on your residence. A house watch request form can be obtained from the Police Department Office located at 419 N. Broadway, printing the form from the link or calling 785-263-1212.


Residents and visitors are reminded to lock their vehicles when leaving them unattended. You should place all items of value in a secured location, such as in the trunk, before leaving the vehicle. Remember: do not leave your vehicle running while you "run into" a store or your home and NEVER leave children or pets in an unattended vehicle.