The Planning Commission shall consist of seven (7) members, who shall be appointed by the Governing Body for three (3) year terms commencing on the second Monday in January, pursuant to K.S.A 12-744. The Community Development Director shall serve as the Secretary of the Planning Commission. The Planning Commission shall be organized in the manner and have the powers and duties provided by K.S.A. 12-741 et seq, and the Zoning Code, as adopted herein.
Duties of the Planning Commission
Abilene has a seven-member Planning Commission which makes decisions and recommendations regarding the Comprehensive Plan, zoning changes, plats, conditional use permits, development code changes, and other applications as required. The Planning Commission is also charged with the following responsibilities as they act as the Board of Zoning Appeals:
- Hear and decide on applications for a variance from the provisions of the zoning and subdivision ordinance;
- Hear and decide on applications for an appeal of an administrative interpretation of the zoning ordinance; and
- Conduct other business specifically assigned to the Board of Zoning Appeals by ordinance, City Commission order or, State statute.
Current Members and Term
- Travis Sawyer (Chair) 2025
- Bill Marshall (Vice Chair) 2026
- Penni Zelinkoff 2024
- William Rose 2025
- Rod Boyd 2026
- Eric Anderson 2026
Additional Resource Information
- Comprehensive Plan (PDF)
- Future Land Use Map (PDF)
- Planning Commission By-Laws
- Requesting a Variance - Guide (PDF)
- Requesting a Conditional Use Permit - Guide (PDF)
- Requesting a Lot Split - Guide (PDF)
Meeting and Contact Information
The Planning Commission meets on the 1st Tuesday of each month at 4:00 pm in the Commission Room at the Abilene Public Library.
Find Agenda and Minutes
For more information, or if you have questions please feel free to contact Kari Zook, Community Development Director.