The Heritage Commission shall consist of seven (7) members appointed by the Governing Body for three (3) year terms. The Heritage Commission shall be organized in the manner and have the powers and duties provided by Section 29 of the Zoning Code. It shall not be a requirement to reside within the city limits of Abilene, Kansas to serve on said commission, however, the majority of said commission should reside within the city limits of Abilene, Kansas. (Ord. 2922 11/00)
Duties of the Heritage Commission
The City of Abilene has a 7-member appointed Heritage Commission. The Heritage Commission performs the following functions.
- Administers the local Historic Preservation Ordinance to include the issuance of Certificates of Appropriateness for improvements made to local landmarks; Reviews applications for local landmark designation; and serves as a Certified Local Government to conduct state law reviews of state and nationally listed properties on behalf of the State of Kansas.
- Educates the public on wise preservation practices, programs and incentives for preservation; the economic benefits of historic preservation.
- Reviews and makes recommendations on applications to the National Register of Historic Places; and
- Maintains a local historic resources inventory
Current Members and Term
- Duane Schrag (Chair) 2023
- Andrew Pankratz 2023
- Barry Arp 2023
- Nanc Scholl 2024
- Mary Burtzloff (Vice Chair) 2024
- Nicole Beck 2025
- Jeff Radabaugh 2025
Meeting and Contact Information
The Heritage Commission meets on the 3rd Thursday of each month at 4 p.m. in the meeting room at the Abilene Public Library.
Find Agenda and Minutes
For more information, or if you have questions please feel free to contact:
Kari Zook, Community Development Director
Historic Preservation Resources
When preparing for a project on a historic structure, there are a few resources that can help ensure compliance with all historic preservation laws.
- The Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation
- Kansas Historical Society’s Help for Property Owners
- Heritage Commission Process Guide - Certificate of Appropriateness (PDF)
- Heritage Commission Process Guide - State Law Review (PDF)
- Heritage Commission Process Guide - Designation of a Historic Landmark (PDF)
- What is a Certified Local Government (CLG)? (PDF)
- Certified Local Government Agreement 2022-2027 (PDF)
- Certificate of Appropriateness vs. State Law Review (PDF)
- Find Historic Properties in Abilene
- State Tax Incentives
- Federal Tax Incentives
- Preservation guides, standards, techniques
- National Alliance of Preservation Commissions (NAPC)
- Manual for State Historic Preservation Boards (PDF)
- Administrative Review Project Types (PDF)