Seven trustees for the Abilene Public Library are appointed. These seven members shall be appointed by the governing body of the City of Abilene, Kansas and shall be residents of the city. Board members are appointed for terms of four years and until their successors are appointed and qualified. Vacancies on the library board shall be filled by appointment of the unexpired term. The City of Abilene may appoint one representative to act as an ex-officio member of the board.
Duties of the Library Board
1. Employ a competent library director.
2. Attend board meetings and see that accurate records are kept on file at the library.
3. Create written policies to govern library operations and programs.
4. Determining library purposes and secure adequate funds for programs.
5. Know your community and its needs.
6. Support staff and director in carrying out library programs.
7. Participate in the library’s public relations.
8. Prepare and approve the annual budget.
9. Know local and state library laws and support library state and federal legislation.
10. Attend trustee meetings and workshops.
Current Members and Term
- Carri McMahon 2022
- Sheila Biggs (Treasurer) 2022
- Amanda Cormack 2023
- Sandy Foltz 2023
- Wendy Klosterman (Chair) 2020
- Elly Cauthon 2021
- Marilyn Holt 2021
- Chris Ostermann (Ex-Officio) 2020
Meeting and Contact Information
The Library Board meets the second Tuesday of each month at 4:00 pm in the Jordan Room of the Abilene Public Library.
For more information or questions regarding the Library Board please feel free to contact:
Please also feel free to visit your Abilene Public Library Page to see upcoming events as well as what your library is planning for you!